Saturday, August 29, 2026

Inordinate desire

 I see the sin nature as an inclination we all have of inordinate desire. By inordinate desire, I mean desire outside the moral will of God. That inordinate desire could be stronger in certain areas, differing from person to person. Maybe one has more of inclination to steal or lie or lose their temper. The evidence of the inordinate desire is brought out by God’s moral law when we try to keep the law, as Paul talks about in Romans 7, when he discovered the inability of the law to keep him from coveting, because of a “law” that “evil” was present within him. So why couldn’t homosexual attraction be that inordinate desire that is unique in a person like lying or stealing in another? In my youth, I had this inclination to steal. I knew it was wrong, but I chose to give into that drawing to do so. Does an inordinate desire have to hurt someone to be a sin—as some will claim? Covetousness doesn’t really hurt anyone, but it is still sin, and I believe it is equated with idolatry. We all can have a tendency towards covetousness. Anyway, it has been my understanding of the sin nature that it is inordinate desire within us, being a desire outside the moral will of God, and it can be stronger in some areas than others depending on the person.

No comments:

Post a Comment